Saturday 23 January 2010

The Network Is In ...

I have spent most of the day today working on the Globe servers and client integration.

Due to the need for the simulator server to run over UDP, some changes had to be made to the different servers roles. The login server now returns an asset server address and port as well as a simulator address and port on successful login. The simulator server currently only serves the time at 100ms intervals, but will shortly serve chat and avatar positions. The asset server is now responsible for returning asset keys which the simulator was previously responsible for, as well as the actual assets themselves in binary form.

Basic UDP is now implemented in the simulator and client, and I have added multithreading to the login client implementation for a smoother user experience.

The base of the networking code is now complete, and if I decide a more advanced UDP method is more appropriate in future, the simulator code is nicely separated and shouldn't be a problem to change.

I have changed the Globe system to work from domain names rather than IPs because this is a more flexible approach. I have set up temporary sub domains and configured my router to allow access to the servers from outside my network.

The next steps are slightly more fun, in creating the temporary avatars and chat functionality.
I have had an idea for the avatar design, so if I get time tomorrow I would like to have another go at that. The 3D company I contacted, turned out to be no good.

The client C++ project structure is shown below.





























Below are the Simulator and Asset servers running in their console form.



I will post an update of my progress tomorrow ....


No comments:

Post a Comment