Sunday 10 January 2010

Globe moves to C++

I spent an hour playing with the Irrlicht 3D engine in C++ and it looks like this is the way I will be going.

In an hour I have recreated most of the login screen, the library handles loading of images and just about everything else you could ever need.

The application will run in OpenGL by default, although it will be switchable to DirectX9 or a software renderer if required. Using the OpenGL renderer, the Globe login screen renders around 50 times faster than using XNA with C#.

This solution will also make the client application cross platform on Windows, Linux and OSX.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks like quite a radical change of plans, compared to what you started with!

    Unfortunately, I'm not really good with C++, but I'm still interested :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete